Sunday, December 11, 2011

Flying to Germany

Jalfred had always wanted to visit Germany. It was a dream of his. I remember him calling me from the airport there when he had a layover before arriving in Afghanistan. He told me they had the best food ever, and that he couldn't wait to take me there one day...I knew we would one day visit there together, but I had no idea it would be under these circumstances...

The next day, Dec 11th, I woke up and it was terrible. Reality smacked me in the face- no, it hit me with a semi truck. Jalfred was critically wounded and I don't know if he will live or die. One cannot imagine the pain, anxiety, and all the feelings I felt of not knowing unless one has gone through it. It is indescribably horrible.

I was waiting for a phone call from the Army. They were going to tell me what flight to get on and told me it would be at a moment's notice. I had my bags packed. Well, my mom packed them for me. I could not even think. All I was did was worry...I told some friends to start a prayer chain. Little did I know this prayer chain would spread around the world.



The Army called, I was at the airport in no time. I had a flight to Atlanta, and then from there to Germany. My parents drove me there and walked me to security. My mom looked me dead in the eye and asked me "Are you prepared for him to be blind? To be deaf? To be scarred and disfigured? For him to wake up and not remember you? For him to have a recovery lasting years? Are you prepared to love him no matter what Katie?" Of course I said YES! I would do anything for him. Then she said "Bring him home Katie." And we parted ways.

I arrived at my first gate. I was sobbing in front of all the holiday travelers. Not one of them stopped to ask if I was okay. They just stared at me like I was some freak. I didn't even care at this point. I truly have no memory of the flight from Orlando to Atlanta. I only remember boarding the huge plane from Atlanta to Frankfurt, Germany.

I sat next to a girl who was around my age. She was Germany and returning home to visit her family for the holidays. I told her my whole story. She asked for Jalfred's name so that she could pray for him. So many people were praying. It was the longest flight I have ever taken. I still knew nothing more than that he was stable.

I tried to sleep but couldn't. I tried to eat, but couldn't, I tried to watch movies, but I just couldn't focus. I just wanted to be there. I knew that once he saw me, he would be okay. Everything would be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email

There was an error in this gadget

Translate